Thursday, February 10, 2011

1 month: 3 things I've learned about myself so far....

1.) I'm really bad at asking for help -  I'm an independent person, which at times is my greatest strength, but it can also be my greatest weakness.  I'm the kind of person that likes to "do it myself."  I like being able to figure things out on my own and take care of myself.  But Florence is a completely different world from anything I've seen before.  There are different ways of doing everything; laundry, getting around town, finding a store.  Even simple, everyday activities like making coffee or cooking pasta are totally different!  I've discovered that its really hard for me to ask for help even if I really need it!  WOW... and its really hard for me to admit that... Did you just see how many times I said "really" in that sentence?!  Eeew... ANYWAYS... I'll work on that.

2.) I thrive when I'm active and productive - Growing up, I've always had a lot going on; different extracurriculars, homework, volunteering, dancing, blah blah blah... and for the first time in a really long time, it seems as though my schedule is almost entirely free!  Its the strangest feeling not having anything to do... No deadlines or duedates, no appointment, no goals.  Its cool not having anything to do, but I've realized that if I don't have anything to do, I DON'T DO ANYTHING!!!!  I end up sleeping in and being a lazy butt all day, which is something I totally hate doing!  Everybody needs those days where they don't do anything and they hang out in their pj's all day, but not an entire month straight.  Don't get me wrong, I've done things... Met some really awesome people, seen some incredible history, eaten some bomb food!  But what I've learned about myself, is that when I have more goals and more responsibilty, I really thrive.  I feel really good about myself when I do a good job at whatever it is that's expected of me.  I can't stress enough how much a love having a packed schedule... It keeps me awake and sharp!  Luckily, my Italian class starts next week, I've been working on getting a volunteer position at a local International Children's Theatre, and I joined a gym.  SO hopefully this will fill my schedule a bit and I'll feel more productive and energized!

3.) I feel most confident about myself when I'm around the people I care about - When I first began my journey, I never thought about how I was doing this by myself.  Then I got here, and I've never felt so alone in my life!  I know you're probably thinking to yourself, didn't you just say you like being independent?  Yes, I did say that, BUT what I've realized is that even when I'm doing things on my own, I have the most incredible support system on the planet!  If something goes wrong or if I need help, there are so many people close by who are more than happy to help me!  Everything I do, and everything I've accomplished is BECAUSE of the people who support and believe in me.  So, to those people, thank you!  Thank you for letting me be a crazy 23 year old who moves to a foreign country by herself!  Uhhh... I totally couldn't do it without you!!  I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment