Wednesday, January 19, 2011

la famiglia

I haven't taken a whole lot of pictures of the family yet, so I'll post more later.  I thought I'd take this time to talk about the family...

Le Papa - Luciano - He is an Econ professor at a university in Northern Italy in a town called Trento.  Trento is in the mountains, right on the Swiss/Italian boarder.  Luciano isn't usually in Florence (Firenze) during the week because of his job, but since the new school term hasn't quite started yet, he's been here the past few weeks.  He's super outdoorsy and loves taking the kids bike riding, fishing, pretty much anything that gets the kids outside!  You can tell that the kids really love having him around.  Luciano has been very informative so far, giving me advice on things I should go see, and AGAIN warning me about the infamous Italian men (as if I haven't heard it enough!).  Luciano just recently got some really great news... An article he wrote got accepted into a major academic journal, and another one was accepted pending some revisions... We celebrated with some wine!

La Mamma - Alessandra - Alessandra does a lot!  She is a Psych professor here in Firenze, she also sees clients in the evening and works at a crisis clinic for battered women AND she started a center for perpetrators (the only one like it in Italia)... A very busy woman!  The kids absolutely adore her, you'll often find her snuggling and kissing the kids.  Alessandra has also been really awesome about telling me different things I should see and encouraging me to go out (the first couple of days I was extremely jet lagged).  Alessandra makes the most amazing homemade bread, I've woken up almost every morning to the smell of fresh baked bread... All different kinds; whole wheat, classic white, sweet bread with hazel nuts and raisins (and i'm sure many more to come!) so yummy!

Lisa - Lisa is turning 9 next week and we are having a party for her on Friday with all her friends from school.  She's such a sweet heart, loves to laugh and play with her friends.  She speaks English really well and loves to learn new words.  She's not intimidated by the language and often asks what something means if she doesn't know.  She's really great about helping me understand what certain things mean and often has to translate for me!  Lisa takes swimming lessons once a week and gymnastics twice a week.  She's really good at gymnastics, and her specialty is standing on her head!  The picture below is Dario's (the son) handy work with the camera. 


Dario - Dario is 6 years old, and just started school this year.  He's super active and loves to play rough with Luciano and is getting more comfortable with me too.  He does not like speaking English, but understands pretty much everything I say to him.  He usually tries to respond to me Italian and I just say "Dude, I don't know what you just said!" and then he'll try to explain himself in English.  He's getting better about it.  According to the parents, he usually ends up getting the au pairs to speak Italian... We'll see what he gets away with with me!  Dario is starting breakdancing lessons on Tuesday!  Below is a picture of Leo (left) and Dario (right) playing in the square in front of the apartment building. 


All in all, this is a really awesome family.  Full of love and laughter.  I'm really grateful to have been selected by them out of the many potential au pairs that they interviewed.  I couldn't have created a more fitting home for me.  They have been incredibley welcoming and warm so far and I can't wait to get to know them better!

b.

No comments:

Post a Comment