Sunday, January 9, 2011

grandpa gastaldi.

"Honey, leave no grape leaf unturned" ~ Grandpa


I'm supposed to leave for Italy tomorrow, and I just got the news that my Grandpa Al passed away last night.  Despite his health, we had such a great visit over the holidays.  A man full of wisdom and stories, never lost his sense of humor even towards the end.  After a thorough warning about how sleazy Italian men are, he sent me off with these farewell words, "Honey, leave no grape leaf unturned."  This phrase has now become the mantra for my trip. 

I'm sad that I can't be with my family during this time.

peace.love.travel.

p.s. The picture above was taken in San Diego at the welcome home ceremony when my dad returned from Desert Storm.  I used to tell everyone that my dad was "Saving Kuwait."

No comments:

Post a Comment